Question about the new project manager

Adam Treat manyoso at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 13 19:24:37 UTC 2004

On Monday 13 September 2004 4:18 am, Roberto Raggi wrote:
> Hi
>
> I forgot to say that we don't store the project structure in the .kdevelop
> file.. and we will continue to load and edit the `build file'(i.e.
> Makefile.am or project.pro) directly..
>
> > PSS If you are actually just continuing to use Makefile.am to store the
> > build information and then calling automake and friends... well, it is a
> > lot easier and I'd hope this is what you're planning, but perhaps
> > 'importer' is not such a good word ;)
>
> I disagree ;) because the `importer' has to `import' the project structure
> in the KDevelop workspace without the editing support.

Well, here is the problem with that...  The 'importers' are designed to parse
the various Makefile.am and .pro files and set up the project structure for
the project editor.  But in your last email you said they were to only be
used in READ mode as the project editor will actually be writing the
information back.  Now, this doesn't make sense to me because you'll have to
code the project editor to write the various Makefile.am, .pro, custom, etc
build files.  You already have a parser in the importer, why not let that
part handle writing the information back to those build files.

Certainly, you don't want to aggregate all this writing of the various formats
in the Editor part... that'll be a code nightmare.

if (autotools)
 //write Makefile.am
else if (qmake)
 //write .pro
else if (ant)
 //write build.xml
else if (csant)
 //write csant.build
else if (pascal)
 //whatever pascal uses for a build tool etc, etc

I would suggest either creating explicit 'exporters' for the various
buildtools and putting them under

 kdevelop/buildtools/projecteditor/exporters

kinda like the importers ... OR combine the importers exporters in one
directory so they can share code where practicable.  So, you'd have

 kdevelop/buildtools/projecteditor/importexport/autotools
 kdevelop/buildtools/projecteditor/importexport/qmake

etc, etc.

Maybe I'm missing the boat altogether, but it seems the code that will write
the project structure back to the various Makefile.am, .pro files should be
in the same place as the code that will read it from the same.

Cheers,

Adam