CTags2

Jens Dagerbo jens.dagerbo at swipnet.se
Tue May 25 23:39:04 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 25 May 2004 21:22, Nick Savoiu wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is the regenerate in CTags2 supposed to be much faster than the one in
> CTags? Right now it seems at least 100x faster.

Well.. in CTags2, the generation is done completely by CTAGS, and this should
be significantly faster for larger projects.

What it does is run:
"ctags -R --c++-types=+px --excmd=pattern --exclude=Makefile" in the project
directory.

This is meant to become configurable in various was before 3.1 is final. Any
suggestions are welcome. One thing though: the CTAGS plugin really should
attempt to be language neutral, which is something the old plugin is not.

> Also when I double click the item in the CTAGS pane it opens the file but
> the cursor is not positioned on the proper line.

Hmm? And this is when using the CTAGS bottom toolview? And the "tags" fils is
generated through the CTAGS2 "generate" button?

CTAGS2 should be much better than the first plugin at finding the correct
line. It's 1) regexp based, as opposed the old linebased search, and 2) it's
clever enough to grep the actual contents of the editor, not the on-disc
file, in the even that these differ.

Any hints about how it fails? Always? When the file is/isn't already open?

jd