'Updating...' after project build

Nick Savoiu savoiu at ics.uci.edu
Tue May 25 21:20:06 UTC 2004

> From: Jens Dagerbo <jens.dagerbo at swipnet.se>
> To: kdevelop-devel at kdevelop.org
> Subject: Re: 'Updating...' after project build
> Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 20:02:32 +0200
>
> On Tuesday 25 May 2004 07:16, Nick Savoiu wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Do you guys know what KDevelop updates after a project build?
>
> Yes.. it does a reparse of the project. I'm not really sure why it does
> this, possibly because in some cases source files are updated during builds
> (.ui generated code, for instance). Roberto?

Could this have a checkbox in Settings for large projects where it becomes a
hindrance?

> When the project is first loaded, this same parsing is carried out. Does
> this also give you this lockup?

Yes, but that is easier to swallow since it's a one time deal. The build issue
is much more frequent :)

> > 'Cause it
> > locks the UI for 35 seconds on a dual Xeon 2.4GHz machine. I'm building a
> > rather large project (lots of files).
>
> Yikes. That IS bad. How large is this project? My typical testcase is the
> KDevelop source itself, which is about 1500 files in about 100 directories
> (ballpark figures). This is a far less capable box than yours, but I only
> get a few seconds of "lockup".

I'm working on a 'custom C++' project. The directory that I pointed KDevelop
at has 5500+ files (the majority of them being source files) in 800+
directories. It was even worse when I had it pointed at the 'top' source
directory that has 8100+ files in 1200+ directories :)

> > This makes it very hard to use at least for building from within the IDE.
> >
> > On a positive note, I'm a happier peppy since version 3.0.90 does no
> > longer seem to have a similar hang when clicking on an error message in
> > the 'Messages' pane.
>
> Yes. I fixed that recently. It was easier to solve and also felt more
> annoying (at least to me) than the build case as this was directly
> connected to a user action.

Thanks :) It was another reason I could not use KDevelop to also build the
project. One step closer now! :)

I've also noticed that 'Add <file> to Project' has been significantly sped up
and now multiple files can be added in one fell swoop. Thanks to whoever did
it! :)

Now if only that could be done recursively from the top directory (especially
handy for custom projects that are also changed by people that don't use
KDevelop).

Cheers,
Nick