New Template System

Ian Reinhart Geiser geiseri at yahoo.com
Tue May 25 03:42:07 UTC 2004

On Monday 24 May 2004 12:30 am, Sascha Cunz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Monday 24 May 2004 05:00, Ian Reinhart Geiser wrote:
> > Okay campers we now have ripped out the old perl template system and have
> > something that imho is infinitely better and easier to extend.  Currently
> > only a few templates have been ported, and if anyone wants to inflate
> > their CVS stats feel free to chip in.  Its almost all search and replace.
>
> [...]
> first of all: This looks good.
One thing i noticed as we are porting these scripts...  there are some
redundant entries, like the install GNU, docs, autobreak etc...

I wonder if the concept of includes wouldnt be a good idea.  The old perl
method sucked because it was hard to add new targets.  If we can have the
concept of includes here we might allow templates to be simplified greatly.

What is the opinion of adding a target as follows:
[GNU]
Type= include
File=%{kdevelop}/template-common/gnu.kdevtemplate

This would include the data from the File option and allow us to remove more
redundant data since ideally if we make this smart enough we can have a
hierarchy of template includes to make things like KDE apps in particular
less verbose.

Opinions?

Cheers
	-ian reinhart geiser

--
And every little thing about this tells me, nothing out there is ever gonna
help me