I18N for KDevelop-Templates / Feature Plan for KDE 3.1

Ian Reinhart Geiser ian at geiseri.com
Sun May 23 00:30:22 UTC 2004

On Friday 21 May 2004 02:51 pm, Sascha Cunz wrote:
> i was thinking a bit about the fact that Ian said that with using .desktop
> files over a xml based template-description we'll get i18n for the
> description. So, this might be true for sure. But:
>
> Now, i am wondering: if one of our templates contains a foo.cpp with a
>         I18N( "this is a text in template" )
> in it. What will the i18n scripts do with that? Will it be extracted and
> translated by the i18n team?
>
> At least i am pretty sure, it will never be used in an translated form -
> because we're moving these files plain to the new project (And we are
> planning to not store these files in "files" at all.[but in archives
> instead])
Thats what i love about you sascha, your always thinking... ;)

At any rate, i think its a convoluted horrible idea.  what is our aversion to
using something that already works?  We have translated template files
already in CVS?  Why on earth would we throw out others hard work for the
sake of letting us write more code and start over with translations?  I am
sure the i18n guys will be pleased to retranslate everything for us ;)

Ideally the new template code wizard with all the templates migrated will be
in this weekend.   I will have 8 hours to work on it in earnest tomorrow.  We
can then talk about real code vs sillly ideas of fantasy realities that so
far have never even been asked for.

Cheers
	-ian reinhart geiser