I18N for KDevelop-Templates / Feature Plan for KDE 3.1

Sascha Cunz scunz at ng-projekt.de
Sat May 22 00:49:08 UTC 2004

On Friday 21 May 2004 23:39, Ian Reinhart Geiser wrote:
> On Friday 21 May 2004 02:51 pm, Sascha Cunz wrote:
> > i was thinking a bit about the fact that Ian said that with using
> > .desktop files over a xml based template-description we'll get i18n for
> > the description. So, this might be true for sure. But:
> >
> > Now, i am wondering: if one of our templates contains a foo.cpp with a
> >         I18N( "this is a text in template" )
> > in it. What will the i18n scripts do with that? Will it be extracted and
> > translated by the i18n team?
> >
> > At least i am pretty sure, it will never be used in an translated form -
> > because we're moving these files plain to the new project (And we are
> > planning to not store these files in "files" at all.[but in archives
> > instead])
>
> Thats what i love about you sascha, your always thinking... ;)
Sitting everyday in front of a windows box waiting for it to do what it got
told, leaves plenty of time for thinking - poorly not for coding (not even
coding what i get paid for) :-/

> At any rate, i think its a convoluted horrible idea.  what is our aversion
> to using something that already works?  We have translated template files
> already in CVS?  Why on earth would we throw out others hard work for the
> sake of letting us write more code and start over with translations?  I am
> sure the i18n guys will be pleased to retranslate everything for us ;)

The point is: There are things that get translated and are never used - and
there are things that get not translated, but could be nice if they would
get. I'm not at all talking about given someone extra work or moving anything
to /dev/null. I am just wondering: What is actually the use of the templates
i18n inside kdevelop.po? Will kdevelop ever call i18n() on those string? I
doubt.

> Ideally the new template code wizard with all the templates migrated will
> be in this weekend.   I will have 8 hours to work on it in earnest
> tomorrow.

That's very good news! :)

> We can then talk about real code vs sillly ideas of fantasy realities that
> so far have never even been asked for.

I'm sure, we will :)

Cheers Sascha