AppWizard IRC Discussion

Jens Dagerbo jens.dagerbo at swipnet.se
Sat May 8 12:40:05 UTC 2004

On Friday 07 May 2004 18:55, Paul Drummond wrote:
> Hi Guys!
>
> After an interesting discussion on #kdevelop the other night regarding an
> effort to simplify AppWizard, I got to thinking and have the following
> questions:
>
> 1.  Can anyone (specifically teatime or geiseri!) please explain the bad
> points of the current system, other than the perl dependency.  I am not
> very familiar with how it all works, put the perl scripts seem quite
> simple.  Each script calls a couple of standard perl methods then installs
> the necessary files.  The standard install() method seems to do the
> variable substitution for you.  So, as a template designer, what can be
> done to simplify this?

The worst problem of the current implementation, as I see it, is the hardcoded
Perl module include path that tells the script where the kdevelop.pm module
is installed. This has got to go.

The end goal is to make installation of additional templates dead simple and
if possible simplify template creation in the process.

> 2. Could someone (geiseri maybe?) please explain in simple terms the idea
> mentioned during the IRC discussion that would apparently greatly simplify
> AppWizard, and maybe comment on how it would simplify it.

Sascha Cunz would know better, but:

* The appwizard could be smaller - it's still a bit too large vertically.
Several rarely changed options could be moved to a second page (or
something).

* The VCS repository creation should be ripped out and put in a seperate
wizard that can be run at any time, not just at project creation time. This
makes much more sense.

* It would make sense to handle "New Project" and "Import Exsting Project" in
the same wizard.

* We also need to modify our project plugin selection scheme to some degree.
Currently, we load every plugin under the sun for every new project. This
needs to change, and we'll need support in the appwizard for this.

jd