AppWizard IRC Discussion

Paul Drummond paul.drummond at dsl.pipex.com
Fri May 7 17:57:03 UTC 2004

Hi Guys!

After an interesting discussion on #kdevelop the other night regarding an
effort to simplify AppWizard, I got to thinking and have the following
questions:

1.  Can anyone (specifically teatime or geiseri!) please explain the bad
points of the current system, other than the perl dependency.  I am not very
familiar with how it all works, put the perl scripts seem quite
simple.  Each script calls a couple of standard perl methods then installs
the necessary files.  The standard install() method seems to do the variable
substitution for you.  So, as a template designer, what can be done to
simplify this?

2. Could someone (geiseri maybe?) please explain in simple terms the idea
mentioned during the IRC discussion that would apparently greatly simplify
AppWizard, and maybe comment on how it would simplify it.

Cheers,
Paul Drummond