create custom projects - user manual

Bernd Pol bernd.pol at online.de
Thu Mar 4 22:38:04 UTC 2004

Am Donnerstag, 04. März 2004 18:54 (UCT) schrieb Jens Dagerbo:
> "If there is no existing project to import, create a new
> automake-based one first, then re-import it as custom project."
>
> This sounds like odd advise..

Yes, I thought so. But I was not sure, whether the re-import wouldn't
strip the automake stuff.
But stupid as I am - the import must not touch any make files. Oh, boy!
I'll take this one out immediately...

> The "custom makefiles" project type is mostly meant as a way to work
> with a set of existing _manually written_ makefiles. No one is going
> to want to manually edit the makefiles created by autotools.

There is no obvious way to immediately create an intial custom project.
This is what people seem to stumble over.
Cerainly, you could strip all existing make stuff from a given example.
(This is was what I meant in the manual.) But does this work? No
re-import necessary then?

> Perhaps suggesting an ultra-simple Makefile in a few lines is one
> solution.

I think so. Can't we provide a simple "Hello world" which just compiles
without automake/qmake stuff?
--
Have a good day,
Bernd