KDevelop 3.1 - Release or postpone?

Ian Reinhart Geiser ian at geiseri.com
Thu Jul 22 15:21:31 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 21 July 2004 06:08 pm, Jens Dagerbo wrote:
> I have a simple question to the devel team: Why are we releasing?

I feel that in light of the last three weeks it is prudent to break our freeze
and get back to work.  KDevelop in the last year has won many awards and has
posted itself as a reference for development on Linux.  It has also been
powerful enough to gain the attention of Microsoft.  To maintain this
position I feel we need another few months.  I vote that we break the freeze
asap, and work on polish and bug fixes.  Then we have a final hack session at
akadamy.  We then start the freeze and release in November.

This is possibly the last KDE release for some time as KDE 4 seems to be the
next popular milestone.  This milestone is possibly 1 to 2 years away though.
Are we comfortable enough with KDevelop to let it in this state for a year?

Developers must realize that that PalmOne has standardized on the GNU tool
chain, MinGW32 can cross compile Win32 applications stand alone on linux, and
Trolltech's Qt/E platform also uses the GNU tool chain.   What this amounts
to is that KDevelop is in prime position to be the development platform for
Qt-Win32, PalmOS,  and Qt/E applications as well as native Qt/KDE
applications.  We have Linux and KDE below us we have a nice spring board to
take KDevelop to this point.  We need to polish this next release so we don't
squander this chance.

KDevelop is the new killer software development platform, and we have a
standard to uphold.

Cheers
	-ian reinhart geiser
--
------(Ian Reinhart Geiser)-----<geiseri at yahoo.com>-----
They're not real , they're there by accident ...