Donations page suggestion.

Alexander Dymo cloudtemple at mksat.net
Sat Jan 3 23:50:04 UTC 2004

On Saturday 03 January 2004 17:44, Harald Fernengel wrote:
> Who maintains the money? Who decides on what it is spent on?
> Since we are part of the KDE project, can't we use their funds? That means,
> we ask for donations to the KDE e.V. and when the time comes we can ask for
> funding.
The main idea behind separate donations system for KDevelop is to suggest
people to donate money to KDevelop development itself. This is more direct
and obvious way to help for people who want to help. KDE e.V. is mainly about
supporing organizational stuff (atm). I want to provide a more direct way
to speed up development.
About spending, there are many ways to spend money if you have money :).
We don't atm and this is not a problem. I hope we can get some to support
a developer to fix some bugs or write a new language support.
About making decisions. KDevelop team is known of it's "democratic" way
of accepting decisions, I hope our democracy will be strong enough if it comes
to sharing money :)

> Another thing: sourceforge has a new donation system, can't we use theirs?
> That would keep the overhead low and the process more transparent (KDE
> already uses it). It has also one other advantage: Sub-projects can decide
> that the donated money is going into another fund, so for example if
> someone puts a nifty KDevelop part on sourceforge and someone donates money
> for it, the owner can re-route that money into the general KDevelop pot.

I've checked sourceforge donation system. It seems that it fits. There is even
KDevelop project registered (with Ronald Krause and Martin Piskernig as
project admins).
The situation is following: PayPal account is still necessary and I hope Ian
will get one for KDevelop. Then we can use sourceforge donation pages
and/or create our own.
Every KDevelop developer can also register at sourceforge and paypal so we
can reassign him money using sf.net donation system.

> P.S.: KDE is not GNOME. You don't have to invest $10.000 to get the most
> obvious features in.
Maybe that's why nobody gives us $10000, we don't need them :)

--
Alexander Dymo
Ukrainian State Maritime Technical University, IT Department