Donations page suggestion.

Harald Fernengel harry at kdevelop.org
Sat Jan 3 16:49:02 UTC 2004

Hi,

On Saturday 03 January 2004 15:35, Alexander Dymo wrote:
> I suggest to put a donation page to the kdevelop website and open a paypal
> account. I hope that could help us a little to obtain more motivation to
> continue development. This can also open a way for users to request
> features and pay for them.
>
> Ian, as a US resident, can you open a paypal account for kdevelop. It seems
> that for US there are now fees for a personal account.

Which raises a few questions:

Who maintains the money? Who decides on what it is spent on?

Since we are part of the KDE project, can't we use their funds? That means, we
ask for donations to the KDE e.V. and when the time comes we can ask for
funding.

Another thing: sourceforge has a new donation system, can't we use theirs?
That would keep the overhead low and the process more transparent (KDE
already uses it). It has also one other advantage: Sub-projects can decide
that the donated money is going into another fund, so for example if someone
puts a nifty KDevelop part on sourceforge and someone donates money for it,
the owner can re-route that money into the general KDevelop pot.

Harry

P.S.: KDE is not GNOME. You don't have to invest $10.000 to get the most
obvious features in.