questions about contributing.

Sascha Cunz sascha at sacu.de
Fri Apr 30 02:46:02 UTC 2004

Hi Paul,
On Friday 30 April 2004 03:15, Paul Drummond wrote:
> Thanx for the quick reply, I have read the link you mentioned before
> (several times!) and it does provide alot of useful information, but my
> question still stands.  Maybe, I should rephrase it:
>
> Is it ok to just write some modifications to KDevelop then post a patch
> directly to this mailing list, or should I post a WISH first explaining
> what I intend to do and wait for a response before proceeding?
>
> I know this may sound daft but I am completely new to this and have no idea
> where to begin!

generally it is not a bad idea to coordinate work. That is mostly, keep all
people at the same level about information who is working on what.
A pretty well place for that is either in chat (#kdevelop on irc.freenode.net
or irc.kde.net ) or this mailing list. While chat has the ability to give you
quick feedback, the mailing list can be used asynchorous - and thus is
getting more comments rather than quick ones.

The bug tracking system would be another place - but it should be used for
what it was build: bug (and wish) tracking. A bugzilla database with more
than 80000 issues is merely a colaborartion tool :)

As for the app wizzard thing: we are ( at least i am ) currently preparing a
lot of stuff for a rewrite / restructure of app wizzard.

- Since a few days, you can add additional licenses to it.
- We're planning on nuking the perl subsystem used for project creation.
  ( It will most probably be replaced by a .desktop-file based
    project-creation-automat )
- We're planning on merging project-import and project creation.
- We're planning on restructuring appwizzard's usage of vcs-plugins.
- We're planning on changing it in a way that it is even more useable
  as a real "wizzard"

So, if you're wishing something like "remember the 10 most recent created
project types and let me select one of them quickly, too" and are willing to
contribute this, i'd really appreciate that.
Anything that makes the ui look more like file creation in the koffice
framework would be a really good solution IMHO.

Cheers Sascha