Using QToolBox to group File related ToolViews

Sascha Cunz mail at SaCu.DE
Sun Apr 18 21:33:05 UTC 2004

On Sunday 18 April 2004 21:02, Jens Dagerbo wrote:
> On Sunday 18 April 2004 20:46, Sascha Cunz wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > i've set up a short hackish patch against newmainwindow.cpp.
> >
> > It groups every ToolView that's got the "File"-Text in it's name into one
> > ToolView and docks each view inside a QToolBox.
[...]
> I still can't decide if I like this or not (even though I suggested it some
> nights ago..)
>
> Pro
> +It clears up the left toolview tabbar without the ugly breaking of the
> tabbar into several lines (which is not only ugly, but also bad UI) on the
> other hand, if people realized one doesn't have to have every existing
> plugin loaded maybe ths wouldn't be that much of a problem to begin with.

That's pretty much of what i was thinking about.
- With all "default-pluins" enabled, i need to maximize kdevelop, if i do not
  want to get two columns in the KMultiTab widget at the left side. ( The
  KMultiTab at the bottom is even more horror to look at with the _default_
  set of plugins. )
  btw: i still have a KMultiTab Patch laying around here.
    http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-devel&m=108188134202937&w=2

- If i'm on a monitor with 800x600, the left KMultiTab widget takes 3 columns.
  Losing a bit of height in the file-tools seems acceptable to me, if the gain
  is about 50 pixels in width inside the editor part.

As you already said: we already have it, so why bother adding it? :-)

> - it potentially adds distance to the amount of "UI space" needed
> to travel to get to a specific toolview

The patch is somewhat bad ( it just tries to group by the name of the widget).
If i could group as i wanted, i'd group either "File Tree" or "File Selector"
together with File List and Class View. This reduces the amount of tabs to 3
(like in the new documentation part), which leaves enough space for the view
itself.

> Soo... I have no idea what my opinion is. :)

:)

Sascha