Using QToolBox to group File related ToolViews

Jens Dagerbo jens.dagerbo at swipnet.se
Sun Apr 18 21:03:05 UTC 2004

On Sunday 18 April 2004 20:46, Sascha Cunz wrote:
> Hi all,
> i've set up a short hackish patch against newmainwindow.cpp.
>
> It groups every ToolView that's got the "File"-Text in it's name into one
> ToolView and docks each view inside a QToolBox.
>
> The output looks like:
> http://ng-project.org/~sascha/files_qtoolbox.png
>
> I'm thinking about a global option to define a set of "groups" and a set of
> plugins whose widgets are grouped into each of that groups.
>
> Is it worth looking further into this?

I still can't decide if I like this or not (even though I suggested it some
nights ago..)

Pro
+It clears up the left toolview tabbar without the ugly breaking of the tabbar
into several lines (which is not only ugly, but also bad UI) on the other
hand, if people realized one doesn't have to have every existing plugin
loaded maybe ths wouldn't be that much of a problem to begin with.

Con
- it adds another UI concept (already added by the new documentation plugin)
- it potentially adds distance to the amount of "UI space" needed to travel to
get to a specific toolview

Soo... I have no idea what my opinion is. :)

jd