improving the debugger for kdevelop 4??

Roberto Raggi roberto at kdevelop.org
Mon Apr 5 10:27:06 UTC 2004

Hi John!

On Sunday 04 April 2004 12:30, jbb wrote:
> Good work
>
> But...
> Given that we can already parse gdb output what is the advantage of using
> MI?
well seems that GDB/MI is really powerful. I don't know how much stable is the
interface, but many IDEs already uses it(like eclipse), so maybe it's not to
hard maintain code based on it ;) anyway, what I would like to change in our
GDB support is the code like

   if (strstr(buf, i18n("No such file or directory.").local8Bit())
   else

I'm afraid that the output messages produced by GDB can change in future, so
we will have problems while updating(BUT maybe this isn't true, since the
GDB/MI iface has changed while the output messages not). I really don't know
if it is a good idea to switch to GDB/MI, for this reason I wrote this
prototype, just for checking ;)

ciao robe