improving the debugger for kdevelop 4??

jbb jbb at kdevelop.org
Sun Apr 4 12:19:02 UTC 2004

Good work

But...
Given that we can already parse gdb output what is the advantage of using MI?

Pro
. MI should be stable across future versions
. IIRC it has mixed source and assembly output
. fill in the blanks here

Con
. MI has changed from it's early versions, why think it won't in the future?
(the cynic in me :-)
. It's not human readable.
. It's a bit of work (but not huge)
. fill in the blanks here

Most (if not all) of the features that people want are really to do with the
UI not with parsing the output. (tool tips is the most obvious)

Can you tell us why this will help us? I'm not against doing this but it just
seems unnecessary which is why I've not bothered. Note that thinking this
could be fun to do _is_ a valid reason :-)

jbb