VCS support for KDE 3.3 (was Re: KDevelop 3.0.1)

Christian Loose christian.loose at hamburg.de
Wed Oct 1 21:14:03 UTC 2003

Am Mittwoch, 24. September 2003 21:47 schrieb Mario Scalas:
[snip]

> We are going to rework the whole VCS thing for kdevelop 3.1 so I think this
> is a good idea.

Hi Mario,

sorry that I answer your mail so late.

It's great to hear that you're also thinking about a reworked VCS support.
This gives us a chance to make VCS support more globally available, so that
other apps like Quanta, KBabel, Konqueror (TortoiseCVS) could benefit from
it.

>  It will be nice to provide cervisia as a kdevelop plug-in in addition to
> KPart: I wrote a simple KDevPlugin wrapper for the Cervisia KPart
> (http://webcvs.kde.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/kdevelop/parts/cervisia/)
> but it does not integrate really well (GUI is too different and I find no
> way to build context menu in Cervisia KPart's own context menu). But in
> this way we have
> 1) an external app which uses the KDevelop SDK :-)
> 2) all VCS work in KDevelop will be given to Cervisia Plug-in (and so
> benefit of additional VCS support in Cervisia ;-)
>
> As alternative to (2) the would be a need for a more "public" interface in
> cervisia_part.h: it be installed in $PREFIX/include, have some signals and
> slots so a KDevelop plug-in wrapper can attach to and "pilot" it: how to
> force the menubar to to adapt to gideon configuration is out of my
> knowledge, though ;-)

I'm really open to any suggestions how to implement this stuff.

I was thinking about creating some interfaces (like KTextEditor). Then we
would write plugins for the different systems. Those plugins could be used
directly or we could write a DCOP server again.

The plugins wouldn't only provide a simple interface to the VCS but also
handle the parsing of the output and then offer the data in easy to use data
structures.

I would then also like to create another library that offers all the nice
Cervisia dialogs like the log dialog etc. I think this would make it easier
to  provide a good looking vcs support in the other apps without using
Cervisia's KPart.

> I think there is no need to tackle it for 3.0 release since
> parts/cvsservice will be detected by configure script so who has cervisia
> enjoy nice features and the rest "normal" ones ;-)
>
> Hope I've been clear enough: writing "complex things" in english is not my
> very strength :-)
>
> Cu
> Mario

Same problem here...see above. ;-)