Gideon cvs 28/3/2003. Fortran mode and Project notion

Daniel Tourde daniel.tourde at bredband.net
Sat Mar 29 12:24:02 UTC 2003

Hello,

About two weeks ago I sent an email expressing my hope to see a Fortran
mode in Gideon and my wishes came true... Thanks a lot.

Yesterday (28/3/2003) I decided to give it a try on my RH8 machine. I
downloaded the CVS and I built the package with the .spec file from Bero
(Ark Linux)
I tried to build up and try a Fortran project. It has been fairly
successful but there remains some problems.

These problems are in fact not only related to Fortran, I also noticed
them when I tried a C++ project.

1) Projects:
- To generate a Fortran Project seems to work fine. The only thing
missing is a Fortran template file (Few comment lines in Fortran
referring to the author of the project as well as the GPL licence (cf
C++ template files))
- There is no function to delete a complete Project in Gideon. I had to
use a terminal to do it. I think this is a missing function, probably
very simple to add.
- To open a project: When I use the menu "open project", I need to find
the xxx.kdevelop file by myself, by digging into the project directory.
This is something that caused me troubles. At the beginning I thought
that to specify the project's directory was sufficient, that Gideon
would by itself look inside the directory to find the file it was
needing. Then I got an error message complaining about XML and an
unexpected end of file command. First I thought it was a bug before I
realized that I had to pick up by myself the xxx.develop file.
I think things could be improved here, in a pure Man-Machine interface
point of view. To open a project in my opinion is not to open a project
description file.

2) Fortran mode
- When looking on the source tree, I clicked on the test.f file (my
fortran "hello" program), no editor opened automatically. When I clicked
a menu came where I had to choose by myself a program to use to open the
file within a list of KDE applications. Well, I just wanted to open the
file in the big area reserved for this on the right part of the gideon
window... Nothing more...
- I tried the same with a C++ project and the file opened but on the
lower part of the gideon window, not on the big area dedicated to this
on the right.
I am sorry for the bad description of what I saw but I lack vocabulary
in English to describe it in a better way.

In any cases, I wonder if what I am seeing now is not a bug. In the
previous releases of Kdevelop, the file where always opened correctly in
an editor placed on the largest free area (on the right) of Kdevelop.

I am running RH8 with KDE 3.1 from kde-redhat.sourceforge.com (that is
to say, NOT from RedHat).

Daniel