New part: TodoList

Holger Schroeder holger-kde at holgis.net
Sun Jun 29 15:03:04 UTC 2003

Hi,

On Sunday 29 June 2003 11:31, Andrea Bergia wrote:

> Alle 21:08, sabato 28 giugno 2003, Alexander Dymo ha scritto:
> > PS: I'd love the ability to add project-based TODO without putting
> > them into the source (like in Eclipse for example). These todo's can also
> > be displayed in the problem reporter. Andrea, will it be interesting for
> > you to implement?
>
> I was thinking of what "fields" should be included in the TODO item. At
> least a text, maybe a priority and a date. I will find nice to have the
> ability to make it refers to a specified file / line number (this way, with
> a right click a user will see "Add a TODO item" to current line. And with a
> double click on the item the user will be able to directly jump to the file
> / line number).
> Did someone understood something from my awful English?

i like this idea, it should be implemented somehow in a file, which is
somewhere in the source directory, so it could be used as a kind of "poor
mans" project management, even when some people work on the same stuff in
cvs.
it should be taken care of, that the file format of that file is in such a
format, that there can't be any cvs collisions in that file, when two people
are working on it...
at the same time it should still be as human-readable as possible, so that it
can easily replace the function of the actual TODO files all over the kde
sources.
perhaps even have different priorities.

so you could simply open any kde sources, say kate or so, and the todo items
would show you, that this and that and that would need help. that would be
really cool ;-)

i think this should be implemented as a programming-language-independent
plugin, as it would work for any text files, be it c++ sources, shell
scripts, whatever.

it would be best, if most of the information would be in a file called
TODO.kdevelop, which resides in the sources main dir, and in the source
files, there are some "tags" like // TODO 42 , which mark the line, which the
todo item belongs to, so that we don't introduce the same problems as with
debugger breakpoints here.
this way the tag moves down in the file, as it should, when somebody adds
stuff above the tag in the file.
so most of the plugin will be language-independent, and only the part, which
inserts the tag into the source, has to know, how valid comments are looking
in different languages.

just some ideas, hope this helps, Holger