nedit part

Nathan Gray n8gray at caltech.edu
Sat Jun 21 00:10:07 UTC 2003

Harald Fernengel wrote:

> Hello Nathan,
>
> On Thursday 19 June 2003 05:10, Nathan Gray wrote:
>> I'm an NEdit developer and I'm trying to get the NEdit KTextEditor part
>> working under gideon.  I've downloaded and built gideon from CVS but I
>> can't seem to get NEdit as an option in the editor selection dropdown
>> menu.
>>
>> Does anybody have this working?
>
> The NEdit part is just a proof of concept, a two days hack of mine to get
> it working. It is far from usable and has little or no error recovery.
>
> Imho it belongs into kdenonbeta or kdeextragear like the kvim part so that
> more apps can make use of it (like Konqueror, KMail etc.). But since I
> don't have time to maintain it, I'll just let it rot in the KDevelop tree.
> To build it, you have to create the Makefile manually:
>
> cd kdevelop/parts
> create_makefile nedit/Makefile
> cd nedit
> make && make install

I'm afraid this isn't enough at the moment.  See my other response -- the
.desktop file is missing something.

> The main problem is the communication Gideon <-> NEdit, can you think of a
> nice way to get the current line number for the status display without
> constant polling?

I'm not sure that it makes sense for NEdit to be calling back to gideon on
every keystroke (e.g. updating column number).  You could possibly do this
using the per-character macro in smart-indent mode, but it would be painful
to set up in all language modes and it might hurt performance.

As for the general problem of sending messages from nedit to gideon, the
best solution I can think of is to have gideon open a named pipe and then
have nedit write_file( "some_command_string", "/tmp/gideon-pipe" ) to send
info.  I might try to implement this if I have time.

Also, note that with calltips in the upcoming 5.4 release of NEdit we could
support things like autocompletion and intellisense.

Cheers,
-n8