New document switching mode

Jörg Rüppel asharky at uni.de
Tue Jan 28 16:55:07 UTC 2003

Am Tuesday 28 January 2003 08:47 schrieb falk.brettschneider at gmx.de:
> Hi!
>
> > Am Monday 27 January 2003 23:18 schrieb Jens Zurheide:
> > I was missing this feature, too and often tried to implemented it and
> > gave up
> > again ( due to lack of QT/KDE experience ). However, my approach was (
> > being
> > a VS 6 user ), to sort the list of open documents in the 'Windows' menu
> > by
> >
> > last-viewed, and attach a number-shortcut to all of them. That means, the
> > current window is always the first. Then comes the window/view you had
> > open
> > before and so on. So switching between to views was something like ALT-W
> > + 2,
> > ALT-W + 3, etc. This system works well together with that of VS 7: Press
> > CTRL
> > and hold it, press TAB several times to get to the 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc last
> > viewed document ( and CTRL+SHIFT+TAB to go backwards ).
>
> Thinking from a KDevelop user's point of view:
> 1.) Yes, I also like very much your feature of cycling through the views in
> "last-viewed" order by holding the Ctrl key and pressing another key
> several times. This is similar to Ctrl+F6 in MS Visual C++ 6.0 which is one
> of the most often used key combinations when coding there. Jörg, is Ctrl+F6
> still a free accel in KDevelop-3?
> 2.) But additionally,  I'd also like to have a constant view accelerator
> for a view. For instance, if it's Alt+3 (or whatever key), it shouldn't
> change to Alt+1. So in a session, you can always be sure Alt+8 is foo.cpp.
>
> Does your patch match both thoughts? Sorry, currently, I don't have enough
> time to try your patch...

There is no patch :) Jens has provided one, I just wanted to provide some
additional ideas. UI wise, it should be no problem to have both approaches at
the same time. Using ALT+numberkey to switch to a specific open view and
pressing ALT+W ( to open the window menu ) with a numberkey afterwards
doesn't collide at all. I am just writing all this to give Jens a few more
ideas how VS has it and that there is (great) interest in such a feature.

Regards

--
Jörg Rüppel
http://www.sharky-x.de