KDevelop questions

jbb jbb at kdevelop.org
Tue Feb 25 10:22:03 UTC 2003

On Tue, 25 Feb 2003 20:04, Iztok Kobal wrote:
> I am repeating my questions since nobody bothered to answer in 3 (three)
> weeks !!!
>
> And I am going to repeat them since I want them to be answered. Why ?
> Because I am a real KDevelop user and I would really like to see some
> features in it. Why ? Because I beleive one would need them !
>
> I can not simply and easily accept the answer that the Gideon provides
> solutions to following questions since I am stuck to the certain
> development enviroment for at least next year while developing stable
> product for my company.
>
> Platform: ix86, KDevelop-2.1.3, KDE-3.0.5, SuSE 8.1 (glibc2, gcc-3.2,
> autoconf-2.53, automake-1.6.3)
>
> 1. I am dealing with the code where I am dealing with the assembly
> debugging. There is a dissassemble window in KDevelop-2.1.3 but the
> current position is shown as the first line in dissassembly window
> which is annoying because you can not see the code above. Am I true or
> can be set to be shown as it is in thesource window (highlighted line) ?
> Is the intention of the KDevelop team to improve this behaviour ?

In gideon - yes
In kdevelop-2x - no.

> 2. Also, I could not find the possibility to set the breakpoint to
> desired address - only to the certain source line - which sometimes is
> not enough. Again, have I missed something and is it going to be improved ?

In gideon - yes.
In kdevelop-2x - no.

> 3. Will there be a possibility given to set the source directories
> instead of them taken from the executable / shared object ? As it is now
> it is not possible to debug shared objects on another machine except
> when the sources are on exactly same position in the file system as they
> are on original machine. For the same reason it is not possible to debug
> the shared libs which do not contain full path to the sources (I am
> using GPM Modula-2 which stores the relative paths into the libs so I
> have to work with the symbolic links all the time)

This should be simple to add to the debugger configuration in kdevelop-2x. I
do not have the time so could you look into this?
You'll need to change kdevelop/dbg/gdbcontroller.cpp. I will apply your patch
to cvs if you send it to me or the mailing list.

> 4. From the KDevelop-3.0 version on it is not possible to delete watched
> symbols from the watch window. Why so ? Will it be corrected ?

This works in current cvs for me.

> 5. Function arguments are not shown anymore as the locals of the certain
> stack frame in the watch window. I know that it is due to the gdb-5.2
> but isn't it possible to show them there (invoking both locals and args
> commands)? It would be fine to see the
> values of the passed-by-reference arguments without seting them as
> watchpoints. If only was possible to delete such watchpoints afterwards
> but it is not, so the HMI ends with complete mess in the watch window
> and one
> could see nothing !

It works in some cases (which is nowhere near good enough) It needs to be
changed and I will do this in gideon soon-ish.

> 6. Can the Gideon be directly used on the projects generated by the
> KDevelop-2.1.3 / autoconf-2.53 / automake-1.6.3 ?

Yes and no - they won't use the same project file so you'll either need to
create the gideon project by using a conversion script or import the project
into gideon. I'm not sure about the script - can somebody else help here?

> 7. Does the Gideon solve some of above ?

Your suggestions are valid. Further to your thoughts I'd like to see the
source line commented out before the assembly that was generated for it.

However, our problem is finding the time to implement these features. Any
assistance you can give will be beneficial to both yourself and everyone else
(myself in particular, since you have highlighed some of the problems in the
debugger code :-)

Although development on kdevelop-2x has finished, bug fixes and obvious
patches to add features will always be added to cvs, or if they are too
invasive, stored on kdevelop's ftp server for others to use. Most of the
things you suggest would be isolated to the debugger code and could be
applied to kdevelop-2x cvs. I have no plans to work on this version though.

Hope that helps

jbb