cross-platform development?

Iztok Kobal iztok.kobal at sysen.si
Sun Aug 10 23:40:05 UTC 2003

Roger Larsson wrote:

>On Friday 08 August 2003 22.08, Iztok Kobal wrote:

>>>Why?
>>>

>>I am used to it ... Well, seriously, I am not understanding it

Do not be confused here - I have meant the KDevelop-3 way of build
configs support. I obviously understand KDevelop-2 way good enough ....

>>completely. I have to play around with it a little more.
>>

>Interesting - please provide the patch so I, and others, can check it out.

CVS KDevelop-2.1.5:
1. I have taken the CVS KDE_2_2_BRANCH
2. It compiled it with the qt-3.0.5 and kdelibs-3.0.5 but in Messages
and Watch window missed or misinterpreted some of events

My patch:
3. so I have patched the gdb/vartree.cpp also
4. I have finished the unfinished business with the build configs and
added remove button to the build configs dialog which also asks whether
to remove the filesystem too or not
5. I have added another buildconfig selector to the Build menu
6. I allowed the relative-to-the-project-root build subdirectory as well
as kept the possibility of the absolute path for build directory
7. I added the question dialogs to select the build configuration to be
reconfigured after some changes have been made
8. I have added and kept the (annoying) information message boxes which
point to the files used to debug prior to debug
9. I have modified all zillion debugging procedure intros to use single
intro sequence. If KDevelop-2 was maintained, this should have been done
in another hundred places all around the code.
10. I have eliminated some errors pointed out by the code and function
added.
11. I am currently using the /admin subdirectory from the KDevelop-3
HEAD and it works better than original one - at linking the code for the
different platform now it finds the right libraries - with the original
one the libtool should be  edited by hand in the points where it
references the needed libs. I have also tried to reproduce the
KDevelop-3 way of using the autotools but some KDevelop-2 codebase
should be modified for this too.

Not done:
12. I have not added any support for the gdb server

Bugs:
13. The .kdevses file is not quite the right place to store build
configs in. I have decided that it would take too much more nights from
me to change that and decided to leave it as is. But I am not really
pleased with it.
13. I have just found out  another one - If the build config exitsts but
the build directory does not, the later one is not re-created again. It
should be patched but I had not yet time for this. The ./configure
products are then created on the Default config's build directory but
not used correctly later on.
14. If the Default build configuration have been ./configure-ed,
changing to another build configuration should
DistClean/AutomakeAutoconf automagically. This should be done for the
KDevelop-3 too. Or to find another way to remove the ./configure
products and avoid stupid information about doing it by hands ...

Footnote:
15. I am not GUI programmer so this one would not be big deal for an
experienced KDevelop programmer but it helps me to run my current work
smoothly. For the first reason it has also taken few nights too much
from me to brose the Qt sources and try-and-error with this bunch of
slots and events.
16. I hope it would help someone just before he decides to use KDevelop-3.
17. If somebody improves it I would like to get the patch back, please.