To INSTALL or not to INSTALL? The question is : how usefull is it!

jalal the_jalal at fastmail.fm
Mon Apr 7 13:32:05 UTC 2003

Steven T. Hatton wrote:

>>>Netscape used to simply put urls in their INSTALL files, etc.
>>
>>But this assumes you always have access to the internet which isn't always
>>the case.
>>I even think the INSTALL file is mainly for that case.
>>
>>Cheers
>>F at lk
>

> From my experience working on networks where any media connected to it had to
> be destroyed by trained and authorized security personnel when removed, that
> situation is extremely rare.  You can simply go to another workstation which
> does have internet access, copy the file to floppy, and sneaker-net it to the
> secured network.
>
> STH

I think in many places in the world (e.g. Germany, where I live) having
a full time internet connection is something of a luxury. I'd much
prefer reading the INSTALL info without having to go online.

Also, there are many folks in developing nations where being on line is
not such a "natural state" and having local install instructions would
be very useful.

jalal

--

GPG fingerprint = 3D45 5509 D380 26A4 523E  A9D8 A66A 5F38 CA43 BB0E