Gideon toolbar icons on KDE-3.0.x

Simon Hausmann hausmann at kde.org
Wed Nov 27 10:48:05 UTC 2002

On Wed, Nov 27, 2002 at 09:28:46AM +0100, Falk Brettschneider wrote:
> Hi!
> I found out, that because of 2 "bugs" in the project, most toolbar icons are
> not working when running Gideon on KDE-3.0.x.
>
> First, gideon/pics/toolbar/Makefile.am just contains
>   KDE_ICON = AUTO
> which isn't processed by the admin/am_edit script from the KDE_3_0_BRANCH
> (which means all KDE-3.0.x versions). The fix is to use:
>   gideontoolbardir=......
>   gideontoolbar_DATA=.....
> This works with both ones, KDE-3.1 and 3.0.

The reason why 3_0_BRANCH's am_edit does not process the icons is
not because of KDE_ICON = AUTO but because they don't have a known
prefix (you should see lots of warning messages when running
Makefile.cvs and force-reedit locally) .

> Second, KDE-3.0.x has the hicolor icon theme as default. That's why calling
> 'make install' for those crystal icon theme toolbar icon files (cr16-....png,
> cr22-...png, cr32-....png) has no effect there. I found out that copying all
> those files to the hicolor file prefix (hi16-....png, hi22-....png,
> hi32-....png) helps, and running Gideon succeeds for the loading of the toolbar
> icons. At the moment only the cr... png files are in CVS. I thought the best would
> be if ./configure creates symlinks with the "hi" prefix to all the "cr"
> files, to avoid a real copy. It's just necessary on KDE-3.0.x. What must I put in
> Makefile.am or elsewhere to get the making-symlinks action during the
> Makefile generation?

I think the simplest thing is to avoid all those hacks and simply
depend on KDE 3.1 .

Simon