this may be a stupid idea but

Marcus Gruendler lists at tamalin.de
Sat May 25 15:13:06 UTC 2002

On Friday 24 May 2002 22:27, Roland Krause wrote:
> has anybody here ever thought of using gdb for code completion?
>
> I was using gdb today from the commandline and came across it's
> wonderful feature to hit "Tab" and get the autocompletion of a class
> name all of its methods and their respective arguments. The wonderful
> thing about it is, it really works, i.e. one does get the whole thing,
> all methods of all baseclasses and all the arguments.
>
> That means that gdb must have a database of all methods (duh, it's a
> debugger), which must come from the information in the binary file
> itself. Now if one could do this for individual files it would be
> perfect.
>
> I have also noticed that this is how VC6 does it. They attempt to
> compile the project when "browse information" is required.
>
> Roland

There is on problem with this approach: you must have a compilable version of
your program. If you are just modifiying your source and have temporary
compile problems, you can't use code completion!

Microsoft's MSVC used to go a similar way in order to show class information
about your project. They were simply not available when the source did not
compile. This is especially annoying in large projects.

Just my thoughts...

Bye, Marcus