Sourcenav vs. History Part

Harald Fernengel harry at kdevelop.org
Tue May 7 23:05:04 UTC 2002

Hi,

after looking at VS.net I created the sourcenav part which allows navigating
to the last changed places in the source code (like the forward/back buttons
in konqueror). At the same time mhk wrote the history part which allows
navigation through the last opened files.

The basic difference is: sourcenav allows navigation inside files (but only
text files) and the history part only switches between opened documents (also
documentation) but doesn't jump to places inside a file.

Both parts have advantages/disadvantages. Imagine you are debugging and
changing a lot of stuff, so you just press "back" to go back through all
changes. Imagine you are reading documentation and you want to go back and
forth between the doc and the source - you'll need the history part.

It is quite difficult to merge the two parts since both make sense in certain
situations. I talked with mhk on IRC and we thought about history buttons
that switch between the last opened files and a history sidebar that shows
the lines that were recently changed so you can quickly navigate to the
places you just worked on.

Any comments / ideas how to manage the parts and what could be improved are
highly welcome.

Best regards,
Harry