KDevelop team interview

F@lk Brettschneider falk.brettschneider at gmx.de
Tue May 7 19:33:03 UTC 2002

Hi!

Philippe FREMY wrote:

>My god. So we have three branches. KDEVELOP 2, KDE 2 and Gideon!

KDE_2_2_BRANCH is locked for further development. Only bugfixes for
crashes are allowed to commit after a strong review procedure. We
release the current 3 or 4 (but important) bugfixes as  KDevelop-2.1.1
bundled in the KDE-3.0.1 release.

KDEVELOP_2_BRANCH was buried 3 weeks ago. It has moved to cvs HEAD in
parallel to Gideon. So HEAD is containing the future versions, although
there are 2 candidates at present.

>Oooh. So only two branches now. Which branch is part of the official KDE 3
>release

Actually, KDevelop-2.1 is a new version for KDE-2. That's why it comes
from the KDE_2_2_BRANCH. But we just changed about 30 lines and suddenly
it also compiled and ran on KDE-3. So it was released as our new KDE-3
version. Just Walter Tasin put additional effort in adapting the project
templates to templates working on both KDE versions.

>When are the other branches planned to be released ?

We will see which one is working first, Gideon or the one coming from
the KDEVELOP_2_BRANCH. Several months it seemed Gideon will die, much
effort was put in Roland's version. The last three weeks it has been the
other way round. After a hot discussion to put Gideon on a branch
development actions for Gideon suddenly heavily increased.

>What are the differences between the various branches ?

The moved KDEVELOP_2_BRANCH in HEAD is almost identically to
KDevelop-2.1 of the KDE_2_2_BRANCH except that the ancient KWrite copy
was replaced with the current Kate part and that the GUI code was
internally updated to the KAction approach. It's unfinished yet, even
Roberto Raggi added a first attempt of replacing other code parts of
KDevelop-2.1 with the appropriate Gideon plugins (KParts). It's not
working yet and it broke the usability completely. So don't expect it
working at the moment. ;-)

Gideon is the second attempt of a totally rewrite of KDevelop. It is
absolutely based on KParts. Some of the plugins are ported code of
appropriate KDevelop-1.4 code pieces, for instance the debugger part.

>Who works on which branches ?

See www.kdevelop.org/index.html?filename=current_work.html to get a good
survey.

Ciao