Moving KDevelop from python

Richard Dale Richard_Dale at tipitina.demon.co.uk
Tue May 7 17:34:02 UTC 2002

On Tuesday 07 May 2002 8:41 am, Philippe FREMY wrote:
> > Ashley Winters has done some *very* interesting stuff in wrapping the Qt
>
> api
>
> > (and soon the KDE one) in a language independent manner. Try
>
> So how many Qt/KDE bindings generator do we have now ? Sip for PyQt,
> Kalyptus for Java/ObjectiveC, and now some new one ?
David Faure has adapted kalyptus for PerlQt/PerlKDE bindings generation, and
made some significant improvements to the parsing of method arguments. So it
now has two different perl bindings generation options (for the both the old
PerlQt .pig files, and the new language independent x_* approach). Along with
C, Objective-C, java, ruby and C#...

> By the way, Richard, have you had a look at sip ? Isn't it reusable ?
I'm not sure how it compares for reusability, but the kalyptus (ie kdoc
derived) parser is certainly proving to be very effective - see above! SIP is
written in C, and I think a perl based approach is just much more powerful
for a text processing application like this. SIP is also not driven directly
from the header files, you have to prepare interface files as input which is
very labour intensive.

-- Richard