The result of the whole discussion about Gideon and 2.2 (was: Re: A common roadmap)

John Birch jbb at kdevelop.org
Sun Mar 31 23:32:04 UTC 2002

On Sun, 31 Mar 2002 23:21, Christoph Cullmann wrote:

> > Then why not move KDevelop to kdesdk too ?
>
> I don't think any of these "mega" apps should be in kdesdk, as kdesdk is a
> collection of some "small" utils for devs/i18n people.

I agree. kdevelop cvs is the place for both

ATM I have three seperate directories
kdevelop2.1 (KDE_2_2_BRANCH)
kdevelop2.2 (KDEVELOP_2_BRANCH)
kdevelop3.0 (HEAD)

Now KDevelop2 is wanting to use gideons parts. So rather than have two
branches with the parts existing in both, we could put both apps in the HEAD.
ie
-kdevelop top level
--- common libs
--- parts
--- gideon
--- kdevelop2

So you'll get both apps with a cvs update. Have a configure switch to compile
gideon and another to compile kdevelop2. By default, just compile kdevelop2
for the time being.

Note that since we're trying to get kdevelop to manage the Makefiles the above
scheme will be a challenge. (Ie kdevelop2 will struggle to do this and I
don't know how gideon will handle this either).

For me, this will make it easier to work on either app, and it means that work
in the parts will benefit both apps. Plus it doesn't favour one app over the
other, as much as two branches does, particularly when new developers come
along. We'll only lose the kdevelop2 history but as it'll be in the branch,
this doesn't seem important to me.

Thoughts...

jbb