The result of the whole discussion about Gideon and 2.2 (was: Re: A common roadmap)

Falk Brettschneider gigafalk at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 29 11:16:03 UTC 2002

Hi!

Roland Krause wrote:

>Ok, now after this nightmare is over and we actually figured out that
>we like each other and want to make the KDevelop project succeed, let's
>try a roadmap or TODO list or whatever.
>
>This roadmap has only one goal.
>
>The goal is to unify gideon (aka HEAD) and KDevelop (aka
>KDEVELOP_2_BRANCH) into one stable application with the name KDevelop.
>
>The application will have gideon's modularity, i.e. it will be based on
>KParts and plugins.
>
>We need an editor core, which will be based on KTextEditor and enhanced
>through and implemented through a Kate::Part. KTextEditor is yet in an
>early stage. Until the KTextEditor interface is feature rich enough for
>KDevelop we will use Kate specific functionality but we will try to
>avoid this also.
>
>We use KDevelop's codebase that will be refactored and transitioned
>into the structure that gideon has now, but it will remain stable and
>usable during the entire process.
>
>At the core of KDevelop will be Harry's viewManager that will use
>Falk's QExtMDI library. All Parts will use the Windows, Tool and
>OutputViews that the library provides. They will request them from the
>viewManager which keeps track of things. Falk will implement a
>"splitter" mode and the current gideon look and feel is to onehundred
>percent preserved.
>
>What we need to do:
>
>1 Finish up all KAction work.
>  Create Toolbars via KAction.
>  Port gideon's StatusBar.
>  Create all context menus via KAction.
>  Fix the crash that comes from integrating QExtMDI windowMenu.
>  Refactor ckdevelop.{cpp,h} and ckdevelop_init.cpp, i.e. delete tons
>  of obsolete code
>
>2 Move docViewManager into it's own directory.
>  Then replace/enhance it with gideons documentManager and viewManager.
>
>  Remove all existing docViewMan code.
>
>3 Port gideon's or katex's plugin/part manager.
>  I believe Robe has already done this but it almost
>  certainly needs work. Also there are parts that cant be
>  removed.
>
>4 Improve kate part integration.
>  It doesnt actually merge yet, this needs to be done at the same time
>  when we integrate the new viewManager.
>
>5 Start porting all gideon parts/plugins. MHK's work is going to be the
>  key here, once the plugins use the correct interface this shouldnt be
>
>  a big deal, but they probably need to change interaction to the
>  viewManager.
>
>Let's get this released with KDE-3.1.
>
>At this point we will have a unification of gideon and KDevelop.
>
>We will then need to find something else to fight about, maybe we can
>discuss the merits of "emacs vs. vi" since we all think the same about
>gnome.
>
>Please comment and improve this roadmap.
>
>Roland

I 100% agree. If noone objects in the next 4 days I'll put the public on
www.kdevelop.org after Eastern.
Then it will become the *official roadmap* and the reorganization of the
CVS will be done by Roland.

So now what?????
GIDEON_BRANCH or everything in HEAD in parallel?
Roland!?!? Others!?!?
We need a decision NOW!

Ciao
F at lk