The day of reunification is here (was Re: The day of seperation is here)

Christian Couder christian at kdevelop.org
Thu Mar 28 00:17:03 UTC 2002

On Wednesday 27 March 2002 23:34, Christoph Cullmann wrote:
> On Thursday 28 March 2002 00:27, Christian Couder wrote:
>
> > If I dared I would also propose to put KDevelop and Gideon in the kdesdk
> > directory, because I think we should also try in KDevelop and Gideon to
> > use as much as possible, as KParts, the code from there.
>
> What has the location of kdevelop in cvs to do with the use of kparts ?

Well, I think it is easier to make changes in one cvs directory only. And
also there is always a greater risk/temptation of code duplication with 2
different directories.

For example, as you probably know, when the KDevelop project started, the
code from KWrite was copied into KDevelop and then the code forked. And
eventually, to get things right, we had to merge both branches into
KWrite/Kate and then replace the KWrite code in KDevelop with the Kate part.

For CVS code, for example, there is Cervisia in kdesdk but there is also some
CVS code in KDevelop. Perhaps it would be easier to have all the CVS code at
the same place (in some KParts if possible).

I am not sure but I think right now KDevelop or perhaps Gideon depends on
kdesdk being installed, so it would not mean a bigger download for KDevelop
or Gideon users to have everything in one place.

Sometimes ago there was a KDK (KDevelop Development Kit) that was very
popular because people had everything in one download/install.

Bye,
Christian.