Crisis of a marriage?

Falk Brettschneider gigafalk at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 26 23:54:02 UTC 2002

Hi!

Victor Roeder wrote:

>Hi!
>
>After talking to Roland and Sandy, I see the reason talk some clear words.
>First of all the situation right now:
>1) KDevelop 2.2 will be able to load several Gideon plug-ins.
>2) The development of Gideon is everything but positive and coordinated.
>
>Roland (and I think the whole 'KDevelop2-Developer') are not willed any
>longer to develop Gideon parts. And that's quite comprehensible. Roland wrote
>a sentence that nearly brings the facts in perspective: We are communicating
>via the source codes of each other and not via email.
>
>Now I have some questions to be answered:
>1) Is there an exorbitant interest in Gideon (under this developers here)?

I'm interested in usuable and stable KDevelop versions because I need it
at work.
But Gideon has been alive since April 2001, even today I can't load my
.kdevprj files properly. CVS activity for the _important_ parts of the
program is nearly NULL the last 6 months. The founders of Gideon seem to
have left the project in a quite half-finished state. The project
roadmap just chaos.

>2) Does it make sense to separate Gideon development from KDevelop
>development?

No. Even now there seems to a real beginning of a merging of both worlds
as Robe proved that today.
The main aim is to provide KDevelop users with good and stable releases,
now we get a chance to profit from the KDevelop2 usuability and
stability married with Gideon features.

>In this case (I think) KDevelop 2.2 will keep the name KDevelop
>and Gideon (if there are developers) will relocate to Sourceforge (or
>something comparable).

I don't understand what result you want in the end. Another 'K' menu
entry 'Development'-->'TheOtherAlmostTheSameKDevelopAkaGideon'? Does
that make KDE programmers more happy?

Victor, you're good programmers, keep in the boat, At the moment we're
trying to overcome the divided world, please, support that, too.

Ciao
F at lk