'Go to decl./def.' feature

W. Tasin tasin at fhm.edu
Thu Mar 21 10:01:02 UTC 2002

F at lk Brettschneider wrote:

>Hi,
>I installed KDevelop-2.1currentcvs on all machines here in the company,
>and all colleagues haven't complained about anything since 24 hours. :-)
>
>.....except one thing...!....
>All of them came to me after 2 hours and told me that the context menu
>shows 'Go to declaration/definition' and 'Switch header/source' but it
>doesn't work.
>Well, after switching on the ctags database creation in
>Options-->KDevelopSettings-->Documentation it worked well.

Hi,
NO... please don't do to!
the old way was ok... why change it?

- not everyone uses ctags... like me, and it can cause trouble, if you
"make dist" and you have already the tag-file.
Try to remove the file "tags" by any make rule?? "make dist" always
needs "etags" I don't know for what purpose.

- the ctags of the SuSE distribution is still 3.x (and KDevelop doesn't
complain about it in the setup... only if you will create tags), so we
cause another time questions like: I have ctags, but KDevelop always
gives following error: foo blaa.... .

- to switch between header/source (IIRC goto decl./def., too) works
without tags for most peoples...
only if you don't have the original structure of the project templates
that makes headers and sources in the same directory it doesn't work, right?
At least that was my last testings on it.

Please tell your colleagues: If the source and header files are not in
the same directory it will corrupt some features (e.g. class creation on
"RFV" , creates header and implementation in the same directory)

So if you want to change this behaviour the project management should be
changed first.
E.g. selecting first the directories where headers and implementation of
the project (or sub-projects) will be saved.

Ciao

Walter