release policy after KDevelop-2.1

W. Tasin tasin at fhm.edu
Wed Mar 6 13:27:03 UTC 2002

Hi!

I really don't like the idea maintaining 3 branches.

On the other hand the situation in our department in the University of
the Appl. Sc. is the following:
- We already use KDevelop 2.0 and still use KDevelop 1.4 on KDE 1, but
we will NOW update
   the the rest of our PCs to KDE 2  (half of them were already updated
last summer) and so update to
   KDevelop 2.1
- For practical training lessons we need a stable version for KDE 2 for
developping
   console applications in ANSI-C and ANSI-C++
- The requested features (by profs and students) are already committed
and I hope that there will no
   bug report or feature req. on it
   [ let's say: "I have a dream...." ....
   I think unless the standard version of KDE in the distributions isn't
KDE 3, we will support KDevelop
   for KDE 2 (or at least I have to support it for our department) ].

To my personal situation and KDevelop development:
Some of you know that apart from working here I'm studying, too. So
unfortunately from 11th March I have to suspend my work on KDevelop for
a half year. (Or lets say strongly limited on the needs of our department).

Conclusion:
I will jump up again on a branch depending on the needs of our institute
and of the persons in it and I think it will be a version for KDE 2 at
least for half a year.

Ciao

Walter