compiling current cvs/Makefile.cvs change?

Harald Fernengel harry at kdevelop.org
Mon Mar 4 17:45:05 UTC 2002

Hi,

> So in general, what you will want to do, is to use an admin directory which
> is in relation with the KDE version you're running. So, why is the admin
> directory not installed automatically into $KDEDIR/share/admin ?? in this
> case, you could just use a Makefile.cvs that links to this one admin
> directory. You would never get out of sync with your current kde version
> when building some soft.

Well, you just suggested to change our entire build system, so you have to
convince 51% percent of the kde core hackers to do that :)

Normally you do not have to mess around with the admin stuff because it is
already symlinked in the CVS tree. The problems we have now are because of
the KDE2/3 changes. After we'll completely switch over to KDE3, the
admin-stuff will be harmless again.

I see another few reasons that speak against it:

- some people tweak their admin directory for certain reasons
- installed kde version != development kde version (yes, that exists if KDE is
broken again).
- every user has to install the admin-crap, although standard users will never
compile an app.
- it will add a new dependency, normally you compile KDE and then you install
it. With your suggestion you have to install kde-common before compiling and
this will confuse quite some people.

Best regards,
Harry