compiling current cvs/Makefile.cvs change?

Wolfgang Mueller Wolfgang.Mueller at cui.unige.ch
Mon Mar 4 14:55:05 UTC 2002

> Use the latest admin directory, do a cvs-clean, rerun "make -f
> Makefile.cvs" and configure.
>
> libkfile.so doesn't exist in kde3 anymore, you should only link to
> libkio.so.
>
> Best regards,
> Harry
Hi, I just lately understood how kde configuration works (at least I hope
so).  I will describe how I understand it, and the question will come in the
very end :-)

So in the main directory there resides only some very necessary files that
you could not move into admin without hurting the whole thing.
The real stuff is in admin. Makefile.cvs uses the stuff in admin to generate
a configure file.

So in general, what you will want to do, is to use an admin directory which
is in relation with the KDE version you're running. So, why is the admin
directory not installed automatically into $KDEDIR/share/admin ?? in this
case, you could just use a Makefile.cvs that links to this one admin
directory. You would never get out of sync with your current kde version when
building some soft.

Of course, for people who like to tweak and for people who crosscompiling you
will need some Makefile.cvs option like CREATE_SYMLINK=false or something
like that.

What do you think?
Wolfgang