[kvim-dev] RE: team interview

Eray Ozkural erayo at cs.bilkent.edu.tr
Tue Jun 18 01:44:03 UTC 2002

On Monday 17 June 2002 16:26, Philippe FREMY wrote:

> And the concept of multiple windows on the same document is quite recent.
> Yes, new editors have it, but plenty of not-so-modern applications runs in
> single doc/single window and they are still very good. Having multiple
> windows on the same doc is a nice feature, sometimes useful, but not a core
> thing you can not live without.

This isn't correct.

I can tell you from experience that I used such editors on the Amiga back in
94. Others can tell you how ancient such editors are for X11 and Windows.

Besides, emacs is hardly a new editor. It had these features ever since I've
been using it on UNIX systems.

I wouldn't let an editor written by a person who doesn't use X11 dictate GUI
standards of any sort.

> All the people I have seen use their IDE in a single window/multiple doc
> mode. This means we are putting a big burden on the editor part for a
> feature that is rarely used.

Perhaps you haven't seen that many programmers using an IDE? Why do you think
we crave for large monitors?

--
Eray Ozkural (exa) <erayo at cs.bilkent.edu.tr>
www: http://www.cs.bilkent.edu.tr/~erayo  Malfunction: http://mp3.com/ariza