[kvim-dev] RE: team interview

Eray Ozkural erayo at cs.bilkent.edu.tr
Sat Jun 15 00:05:04 UTC 2002

On Friday 14 June 2002 18:12, Mickael Marchand wrote:
> > I think the TextEditor interface should have the concept of the
> > multi-document single window editor. Most editors work like that and the
> > multi-window single document or multi-document is more or less a new
> > concept with few editors implementing it.
>
> fully agreed :)
> that would help a lot with vim and probably other editors

Mickael,

I don't agree. This isn't a good idea at all. See my suggestion below.

> > Most people, from what I have seen, use their IDE with one editor window
> > only, switching between buffers. If you base KDevelop around this common
> > concept, it will be far easier to integrate editors and will avoid the
> > one process per edited file issue.
>
> I have an idea to do this, but I'm not sure if it will work or not. So I
> have to test first.
> That would allow us to have only one Vim process and to use Vim buffers
> directly. I'm just not sure if the kparts ktexteditor will make it work
> (using the same widget for all views for example) ;)

Any decent editor must be able to manage multiple views and multiple
documents. Just because vim can't do it doesn't mean it's not the right way.

VIM can still run a single process. It opens new documents but uses a single
window as it does. That's not a problem. The interface I think can deal with
it in a decent way. I'll dig into the interface and see what I can do.

kills the memory. I'll try my approach with gideon code right away. We want a
single vim process no matter what.

An editor that does have a good notion of GUI can work differently by opening
multiple frames, a la emacs.

> > > Also we seem to have dangling processes after kvim part terminates.
> >
> > I used to have problems like that but fixed them some times. Maybe
> > Mickael reintroduced them :-(
>
> I don't use processes like it was before, this is quite strange you have
> such a thing, I tested starting and closing vim windows really hard and I
> haven't encountered this bug before commiting the kpart on CVS. I have
> an old gideon, I need to update it, I'll test again ...

You don't need gideon to observe this bug. It may have been due to my changes,
but it's unlikely.

Just compile the one in kdeextragear-1, and use konqueror to view text files.
It leaves these processes when I hit the Back button. If you exit from vim,
it doesn't. Seems to have a simple workaround. ;)

--
Eray Ozkural (exa) <erayo at cs.bilkent.edu.tr>
www: http://www.cs.bilkent.edu.tr/~erayo  Malfunction: http://mp3.com/ariza