[kvim-dev] RE: team interview

Mickael Marchand marchand at kde.org
Fri Jun 14 17:14:02 UTC 2002

On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 09:44:36AM +0200, Philippe FREMY wrote:

> > didn't know any vi except :q, :w, i, d, d$ and <ESC> before
> > doing this! (Maybe I knew a few more commands, heh)
>
> :help seems the most useful after the one you named.
>

> > There are a few problems with the kvim part. First is that every window's
> > going to load a separate process. This obviously isn't what we want, but I
>
> > have no idea ATM how this should be fixed.
>
> I think the TextEditor interface should have the concept of the
> multi-document single window editor. Most editors work like that and the
> multi-window single document or multi-document is more or less a new concept
> with few editors implementing it.

fully agreed :)
that would help a lot with vim and probably other editors

> Most people, from what I have seen, use their IDE with one editor window
> only, switching between buffers. If you base KDevelop around this common
> concept, it will be far easier to integrate editors and will avoid the one
> process per edited file issue.

I have an idea to do this, but I'm not sure if it will work or not. So I
have to test first.
That would allow us to have only one Vim process and to use Vim buffers
directly. I'm just not sure if the kparts ktexteditor will make it work
(using the same widget for all views for example) ;)

> > Also we seem to have dangling processes after kvim part terminates.
>
> I used to have problems like that but fixed them some times. Maybe Mickael
> reintroduced them :-(

I don't use processes like it was before, this is quite strange you have
such a thing, I tested starting and closing vim windows really hard and I
haven't encountered this bug before commiting the kpart on CVS. I have
an old gideon, I need to update it, I'll test again ...

> If you don't like vim scripting commands, you can also use dcop. And if you
> use dcop with the generic ktexteditor interface, your work can be reused for
> other editor parts.
>
> 	regards,
>
> 	Philippe.

Mickael Marchand
Engineer student, Ecole des Mines de Douai - France
KDE Developer, http://www.kde.org