Team interview (also a Gideon TODO)

F@lk Brettschneider falk.brettschneider at gmx.de
Tue Jun 11 22:33:04 UTC 2002

Hi!

Eray Ozkural wrote:

>>- Where would you like to see people contributing ?

There are heaps of stuff for that people can help to bring Gideon to the
Beta stage. See below

>- mainly KDevelop 3.0 We need to get an alpha release out.
>- cleaning up the code, fixing bugs, have a look at TODO file :

Yesterday, I got Gideon to compile and run and tested it for 3 hours.
The result was:
- 17 crashes on several places and situations
- I noticed heaps of misbehaviour and missing functionality (even
compared to KDevelop-2.1). Nevertheless I think it is worth to be
released as alpha version.
  Here are *some* of the things I noticed:
    - no possibility of bringing back closed toolviews
    - no possibility of switching toolviews on and off
    - switching the project adds new toolviews, in that case some appear
doubled
    - toplevel UI mode completely broken
    - IDEA UI mode let toolviews overlap editor views
    - Qt-based C++ project handling completely broken
    - editor options changes ignored (e.g. font)
    - displaying documentation HTML views completely broken, just error
messages about missing html files
    - adding new documentation broken (I tried to add the Qt3 HTML
documentation)
    - switching the editor doesn't work
    - Window menu allows switching files, only; standard functionality
missing
    - debugger toolview are visible when the debugger isn't active
    - GUI redraw blocked on Gideon startup for the time of project loading
    - Class tree doesn't show the project structure as useful as in 2.1
(see screenshot on startpage of www.kdevelop.org)
    - several pages of Project Options belong to the global Options,
otherwise the user need to set it once more with every new project
    - Trying to call the debugger for the Gideon project itself just
shows an error message
    - Printing files not supported
    - main menu item order misbehaviour (Debug menu entry is on the
right-hand side of Help menu)
    - switching UI modes needs application restart
    - kdoc not supported any more
    - GUI has no import/export 2.1-projects<-->Gideon-projects
    - Trying Java projects results in mysterious error messages
    - new editor views are added always maximized, even in non-maximized
UI Childframe mode, view-taskbar missing
    - docking state of all toolviews not restored after Gideon restart
    - editor options dialog missing when all views are closed
    - choosing KDE texteditor not working at all on KDE-3.0.0, but
offered as possible editor
    - [Modified] missing in mainframe caption
    - Activating functionality in main menu doesn't switch to
appropriate tool-views (e.g. calling Configure doesn't show Messages view)
    - setting breakpoints in qeditor texteditor (the only one that is
working here) impossible
    - RMB on qeditor doesn't have the 'Switch to declaration/definition'
functionality
    - no CVS functionality for directories available
    - cross-compiling feature seems to be missing (but I'm not sure)

It should be added to the ToDo list of Gideon (I also can put this
online on www.kdevelop.org-->current_work.html, any objections?)

Hmm... Probably, releasing Gideon bundled to a official KDE release
would confuse the end users. So now I take back my suggestion to release
Gideon-0.2 bundled to KDE-3.1. Now I vote for a separate release. But
don't misunderstand me. I do second the idea to release the Gideon alpha
snapshot to attract the developers.

Ciao
F at lk

P.S.:  I'm going to look into some UI improvements, mainly in QextMDI
(e.g. Close button for editor views in TabPage UI mode). At present I
have less time for KDevelop coding.