Dev path for Gideon

Victor Röder victor_roeder at gmx.de
Thu Jul 11 12:18:04 UTC 2002

Hi, Chet!

> I am curious to find out if the current text editor implementation will
> stay or if it is being completely replaced by KVim and/or KATE.

You can use every editor for Gideon that implements the KTextEditor Interface
(from kdelibs). For non-Qt/-KDE editors it's a little bit tricky but
possible. For example is QEditor (editor of the QtDesigner) available for
Gideon.
So there will be no replacement. Of course there will be standard editor (I
think Kate) but you can choose your editor :-).

> As for
> project management, is this still reliant on makefiles or is it being
> changed to operate more like CodeWarrior and MSVC with an option to export
> makefiles?

No it is not reliant on Makefiles but on Makefile.ams (for Automake projects).

Gideon is also "independent" from the build tool you use. Of cource this stuff
has to be implemented. In parts/*project you can find them. The autoproject
part (to handle Makefile.ams) is in place, the trollprojectpart (for .pro
files) is extended in the moment by Jakob.
An export is not planned

> Also, is there any specific items which need to be cleaned up, fixed, or
> need a developer?

Hmmm, maybe a "Import existing project wizard" that behaves like that :-):

Your project seems to contain C++ files. Do you want to make
  this primary language of this project, so the class browser
  shows C++ classes and namespaces?
    [ ] Yeah

  (analog for other languages)

  I have found a binary program foo/foobar. Do you want this to
  be the main program of your project, i.e. the program that is
  e.g. started in the debugger?
    [ ]

  You seem to use libtool for the usage of libraries. Do you want
  the debugger to use the libtool wrapper when loading your program?
    [ ]

etc...

Bye,
	Victor