Patch for acinclude.m4.in

James Thorniley james.thorniley at ntlworld.com
Thu Jan 17 16:51:02 UTC 2002

Hi,

We've been having a very interesting conversation over on debian-kde, (see
the KDE filesystem structure thread if you're interested). Anyway, before we
diverged into the meaning of life, the question I was trying to ask is why
doesn't my kdevelop-created KDE2 app have any online documentation available
on Debian when I've definitely made it.

The answer is that Debian for reasons of its own (the package maintainers
seem unwilling to change this) has the docs placed in
/usr/share/doc/kde/HTML. Since the prefix variable is set to /usr, the
acinclude.m4.in that kdevelop gives you when you start a project, cannot, it
seems, find this location. It assumes docs go in $prefix/share/doc/HTML (this
is what $kde_htmldir gets set too), so your index.docbook online help doesn't
find it's way into the correct location.

So anyway, I hacked up acinclude.m4.in a bit and I seem to have found a way
to get the right locations where possible using the kde-config utility,
supplied on most systems (if it can't find kde-config, it goes with the
defaults). Anyway this new version *should* make your source.tgz's work much
better with Debian and other non standard distributions (if any such
distributions exist).

One thing to note with this script is that it will ignore any prefix you pass
to configure for directories that can be found with kde-config. One advantage
of this is that for novices who don't realise you need to pass a prefix (even
on SuSE etc, you would surely need --prefix=/opt/kde2?), it should work
anyway.

Ok so the reason I'm posting this here is twofold: firstly in case any
developers want to use this script. Secondly, if anyone with more autoconf
experience than me could have a look at the script and check I haven't done
anything stupid in it, that would be a great help. Plus any thoughts on
should this patch be included somewhere upstream like within KDevelop? (or am
I in fact being a bit dim and missing a much easier way to fix this problem?
;) Obviously this is a patch to make it work with KDE2 and I don't know much
about KDE3 so I'm looking for others to advise on what is best.

Thanks,
James.

The patch is attached, I hope this isn't against list policy of any sort, I
couldn't find a faq anywhere.