Which version of kdevelop should I work with ?

Harald Fernengel harry at kdevelop.org
Fri Feb 22 12:38:02 UTC 2002

Hi,

> I'm new to kdevelop and I'd like to contribute.
>
> I understand that there are two possibilities of
> helping with kdevelop - kdev 2.x and kdev 3 (which is
> a complete rewrite) and I am not sure which one I
> should use...
> if kdev 3 is a complete rewrite then work someone does
> on kdev 2 will be tossed in a while, I guess (when
> will kdev 3 replace kdev 2?).

That depends how many people work on it and work with it. If you want to do
bugfixing or smaller improvements, you should stick to KDevelop 2, if you
want to create something bigger you should give KDevelop 3 a try. Even if you
work on KDevelop 2, your work won't be lost because most stuff can also be
used for KDevelop 3.

> Secondly, how does one send patches in ? Is it a
> bundle of all the source files you changed or is there
> some way to send the changes to the sources themselves
> ?

You just hack the source files and then type
cvs diff -u3 -p >mypatch.for.kdevelop
Send the generated file to this mailing-list.

Best regards,
Harry