The Class Store

Thomas Schilling snuffeler at gmx.net
Wed Feb 20 16:48:04 UTC 2002

I have some question on KDevelops class store. I'm currently
working on an advanced version of the class-store - indeed it
is a rewrite causing also a different API - including a new class
parser based on flex (i puzzled around long to find the best
tool and was finally inspired by doxygen's parser).

I started this because the current class-store seemed really
insufficient to me - it has no template support, recognizes
macros as functions and has problems with changes function
in function declarations (i don't know if those features were
fixed until now - please tell me if so).

It's also planned to support code completion better by parsing
also local scopes (and storeing them) which are not made
visible to the user (i.e. appear in the class tree).

I know that exa is also working on porting a class-store. Could
you please tell me it's features? Then we can discuss which
approach is more promising.

Since making a multi-purpose class-store for every language
seems quite difficult for me I also consider to just define a
class-store interface to every language (although some simpler
languages may share an interface). I also prefer implementing
access rights and other language specialities directly in the
class store. This would make usage much easier.

Please tell me your opinions.

Thomas