IDEAl mode question

Victor Röder victor_roeder at gmx.de
Thu Dec 5 09:43:05 UTC 2002

Hi,

>Can someone explain to me why the ideal mode parts have a "hide button" (which
>deactivates that current part) that is disabled when the part is docked, yet
>you can still hide the part by clicking on the button with its name...
>
>Seems like making this button disabled is unnecessary, and perhaps even having
>it at all is unnecessary.

The "original" IDEA mode handles its side (left, bottom, right) panels
as following:
* In undocked mode you can 1) DOCK and 2) HIDE
* In docked mode you can 3) UNDOCK, 4) AUTO HIDE and 5) HIDE

In undocked mode the panels automatically disappear if they have lost
their focus.

In docked mode its the same excepting 4) AUTO HIDE  is disabled.
If (while have a docked panel1 with "4) AUTO HIDE disabled" opened)
another panel2 from the same side opens which state is 3) UNDOCKED it
overlaps the currently opened panel1.
If panel1 has 4) AUTO HIDE enabled and panel2 opens panel1 disappears
and panel2 raises up.

That's it :-). And it is very usefull that way. Maybe we should have a
look at Kate's side tab button bar which is IMHO a crib of VS.NET :-).
In VS.NET a panel opens if you get with the mouse cursor over its button
in the tab bar.

If someone is just extending the IDEAL mode, he/she should do this way,
please. Otherwise I'll do it some day :-).

Bye,
    Victor