The Gideon feature list (was => Re: Who is still working...)

Oliver Markovic qgo at gmx.net
Wed Sep 26 11:39:48 UTC 2001

On Wednesday 26 September 2001 11:03, Bernd G. wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Sep 2001, Victor Röder wrote:
> > * Something that "remembers" the directories in which files were changed
> > so that only there 'make' will be executed (okay dependencies with other
> > directories but I hate it to click on the 'Run-Button' and 100
> > directories were examined if there are any changed files and only one
> > directory is affected)
>
> You can build single directories or even targets via the context menu.
> It's not possible to make this automatical without completely reimple-
> menting 'make', because their can be arbitrary dependencies between
> directories.
>
> Your performance problem mainly comes from the recursive nature of
> automake builds. Because of that, for the evaluation of the dependency
> tree many header files (in kdevelop e.g. those in lib/interfaces) have
> to be stat()ed for each directory again. With a build system where every-
> thing is in one Makefile, this would be much less costly.

Jam/MR from Perforce does just this. It's a freeware make replacement and
personally I like it. One big drawback is the lack of (good) documentation.
It took me a few days to migrate a project with multiple directories, shared
libraries etc. etc.
The advantages are decreased build time, because it doesn't invoke itself
recursively like make does and ease of use once you learn how to use it
(Jamfiles are pretty different from Makefiles).

http://www.perforce.com/jam/jam.html

--
 Oliver Markovic

-