KDevelop -- Great Job

Ralf Nolden nolden at kde.org
Fri Oct 26 09:04:38 UTC 2001

On Thursday, 25. October 2001 20:42, Michael Schepens wrote:

Hi Michael,

thanks for the glorious praises of KDevelop :)  As far as the control center
module goes, Ian Geiser is working on that so the small issues with it will
be fixed soon.  About other templates, we're currently building a new version
of KDevelop, KDevelop 3 which is a major rewrite and has a system to create
new templates by yourself using a perl script (where a template is given) and
your sourcecode. It is also completely Makefile based which means it operates
directly on the Makefiles which make it a lot easier to add specific targets
like libraries and other binaries. If you would like to help us, please sign
up at the two mailing lists we're providing, kdevelop at kdevelop.org and
kdevelop-devel at kdevelop.org so you can get involved into the development
process.

Ralf
> Hi,
>
> I just had to thank everyone wh has worked on KDevlop.
> I came from Windows as a Visual C++ developer and I
> found writing Linux coed, makefiles, GUIs, etc. very difficult.
> Using KDevelop helped immensely.  It allowed me to focus
> on the problems I was trying to solve instead of getting
> bogged down in the details of the source code project
> itself.  I am still working to learnd more and more of the details
> of how these things work, but I am able to move forward
> without having to understand them all in detail.
>
> I have been able to create a Common Name Resolution Protocol
> (CNRP) I/O slave for Konqueror.
>
> http://freshmeat.net/projects/onyma/
>
> I am now working on a Control Panel for it using KDevelop 2.01.
> There appear to be a few bugs which I will post to the bugs list,
> but it really helped me a lot once I got past these.
>
> KDevelop is not perfect, but it is a Great Job nonetheless.
>
> I would like to help out by working on some of the project
> wizards that I would like to have, a generic shared library, etc.
>
> Can someone point in the right direction to look at writing new
> project wizards.
>
> Thanks again for everyone's effort.
>
> Ben Schepens
> schepens at mindspring.com