Invitation to IRC party

Hugo Varotto hugo at varotto-usa.com
Thu Oct 18 05:28:50 UTC 2001

I would like to include Visual Slickedit in the list of IDEs from which we
can get some additional inspiration ( I've been using it for almost 4 years
under Linux and Solaris ). I have high hopes that Kdevelop will be able to
one day achieve the same quality that Visual Slickedit has now ( I believe it
would, all the kdevelop developers are doing wonderful things ).

Let me describe the features that I believe are most useful:

Left pane is a tabbed multi-tree pane similar to what Kdevelop 2.0 and 3.0
have now. What's very nice are the different panes inside.

1 - a list of all the open files in a tree. Hanging from each file there are
entries ( in the tree ) for every function contained in that file and every
symbol in that file also, including #includes, #defines, enum, variables,
functions, classes and methods, etc. It's possible to filter which symbols to
show. A nice touch is that a constructor has a special "plus" (+) icon on the
left and the destructor a special "minus" (-) icon on the left.

2 - in the project pane, is possible to define different groupings of file
according to user-defined patterns and group them together in branches of
trees ( I believe Kdevelop uses a predefined set of patterns ). Also, it has
the concept of "workspaces", where a workspace is composed of multiple
projects if desired ( each of them with its own tag database ).

3 - an FTP pane: use it as a file selector and edit seamlessly through the
network ( I believe this should be relatively simple to do with the curent
elements in KDE ).

4 - a "classes" pane. Actually, is more of a way to look inside all the tags
in the multiple symbol databases that are curretnly loaded. Again, a mutiple
tree view, and grouped in branches you have packges/units, classes ( with the
methods and parameters ), structs, includes, defines, global variables,
global functions, global variables, static variables, etc.

5 - a file selector pane ( but I already ported the one in Kate to Gideon so
a small step is done ;-)

The truly beautiful thing about VS is the symbol database, actually, the
multiple symbol databases. You can have global databases, loaded at startup
without having a project open ( I have one for QT, one for KDE and one for
ACE loaded all the time, plus a generic UNIX database ). This databases are
seamlessly integrated throughout all the application, providing a very nice
environment. Later on, if a project or workspace is loaded, its own tags
databases are also loaded and merged temporarily with the global ones. And I
think this is where kdevelop has a lot of work to do right now, there's an
internal classparser and some tags support, but they're not integrated
together, they're not complete and they don't support cross-referencing (
more of this below ).

The bottom panel is similar to the one currently in kdevelop ( my silent
admiration to all the kdevelop developers again ) with two additional panes
that are truly awsome.

1 - a symbol pane. Basically, it contains a small text box in which you can
start typing a symbol name ( variable, function, macro ) and on the fly it
will start searching through the database and showing the results in a list
box in the bottom pane. Even better, if it finds a unique match for the
current written symbol, it will display instead of the list a preview of the
code and the line were the symbol is defined.

As a side note: I've written for Gideon a plugin that does something similar
( on the fly symbol lookup ) using a cscope database ( without the code
previewing ). I don'tthink I'll continue working very much on it 'cause it's
a third database and also becuase cscope doesn's support to well C++, but if
somebody is interested, send me an e-mail and I'll sen you the code, or I can
put it somewhere in my web page.

2 - also using the same pane, you can just click with the mouse on s ybol in
the edit window, and it will try to do a symbol lookup and code preview in
the bottom pane ( only if the symbol window is currently selected ). This is
very useful if you're trying to see what the hell is a function doing while
analyzing a calling funcion.

3 - third and last item, crossreferencing symbols. It's aother bottom pane
that's splitted in two. You also enter a symbol in a text box, and will show
a tree on the left with files and functions that reference that symbol, adn
will preview on the right side the code and line where that symbol is
reference.

Besides autocompletion, code folding, and function helper, other nice things
about VS is that everything is customizable. It uses an internal language
Slick-C to actually create the IDE, but I believe Gideon has the potential of
doing something similar with its Python support.

On the other side, kdevelop has things that SlickEdit doesn't have: internal
debugger suport, internal java debugger ( I haven;t tried it yet ), internal
HTML documentation browser, Designer support ( but I work on embedded systems
so it's not so important to me ). Also, there're no wizards in Sickedit. I
dream to have time one of these days to sit down and write some ACE wizards
for Gideon. Some ACE integration would be very nice.

I also agree with Eray Ozkural (exa) that Source Navigator is very nice ( the
xref mode is something out of this world ). At work I deal with code that has
more than a million lines of C/C++, and I found that I need both VS and
Source Navigator to have a grasp of most of it. I guess is no secret that I
find the symbol databases/cross referencing capabilites of these two products
to be the most useful and intriguing for me :-).

You can download a demo copy of VS at www.slickedit.com i you want to look at
it more. Don't take me wrong, I truly hope that kdevelop will surpass
eventually VS in most of its features.

Keep up the good work guys. I'm very new to this list, but I'll try to help
the most that I can with whatever little time I have. Hope my comments were
useful and not only the result of somebody who should be sleeping 4 hours ago.

Best wishes,

Hugo

> > > to you have the features lists of those?
> >
> > Ahem. Well, I think they do have some feature lists in their docs, but it
> > wouldn't be very quick to find them. Let me look at their documentations.
> >
> > I've got all of them installed.
> >
> > Thanks,

-
unsubscribe »your-email-address«